فرانك لويد رايت

فرانك لويد رايت


We are searching data for your request:

Forums and discussions:
Manuals and reference books:
Data from registers:
Wait the end of the search in all databases.
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.

بدون تدريب رسمي في الهندسة المعمارية ، أسس فرانك لويد رايت نفسه على الرغم من ذلك باعتباره المهندس المعماري الأمريكي الأكثر نفوذاً في القرن العشرين. في مرحلة مبكرة من حياته المهنية ، تبنى مفهوم "الشكل يتبع الوظيفة" ، مما دفعه إلى تصميم بعض التصاميم الأكثر ابتكارًا للهياكل التي تراوحت من المنازل المتواضعة إلى متحف غوغنهايم في مدينة نيويورك.كان والدا رايت هما ويليام كاري رايت وآنا لويد جونز رايت ، اللذان عادا أسلافهما إلى ويلز. كان أول عمل تم تكليفه به هو مدرسة Hillside Home School ، التي تم بناؤها من أجل عمات رايت في عام 1888 بالقرب من سبرينغ جرين بولاية ويسكونسن ، وبعد حوالي عام حصل رايت على وظيفة أفضل كرسام لشركة Adler and Sullivan ، وهي شركة معمارية بارزة في شيكاغو في ذلك الوقت. طليعة التصميم المعماري. أشار رايت لاحقًا إلى لويس سوليفان على أنه ليبر مايستر ، وهو ما يعني "سيده المحبوب" ، واعترف بسوليفان بمفرده على أنه تأثير على عمله. في عام 1889 ، تزوج رايت من كاثرين لي كلارك توبين - أول زوجات من ثلاث زوجات - اللواتي كان لهن معهن. ستة أطفال. وباقتراض 5000 دولار من سوليفان ، اشترى الكثير في أوك بارك ، في ضاحية ثرية غرب وسط مدينة شيكاغو ، وبنى منزله الأول. مكث رايت مع أدلر وسوليفان حتى عام 1893 ، عندما أقنعه عدد متزايد من اللجان المستقلة أرباب العمل أنه كان "عملًا إضافيًا" وقام بإنهائه ، بناءً على سياسة الشركة. انتعش رايت من خلال فتح شركته الخاصة ، حيث عمل أولاً من مبنى Schiller الذي صممه Adler و Sullivan ، ثم مبنى Steinway ، وأخيراً في عام 1898 ، استديو في منزله المنزل في أوك بارك. تم تشييد تسعة وأربعين مبنى من تصميمات رايت خلال السنوات الثماني الأولى من عمله كمهندس معماري مستقل. وخلال تلك الفترة ، بدأ في تطوير ما يُعرف باسم أسلوب البراري للعمارة cture ، الذي سمي على اسم منزل صممه ل مجلة بيت السيدات مقالة في عام 1901. غالبًا ما ترتبط تصاميمه المعمارية بحركة الفنون والحرف اليدوية.لم يقتصر رايت على الهندسة المعمارية. وبخصوص الديكورات المعمارية ، قال إن "واقع المبنى ليس الحاوية بل المساحة الموجودة بداخله". كان تأثير تصميمات رايت هو الذي جعل صانعي الأثاث ينتجون حتى اليوم عناصر بناءً عليها. في عام 1909 ، ترك رايت زوجته وسافر إلى ألمانيا مع مارغريت "ماما" تشيني ، زوجة أحد الجيران والعميل. أطلق على المنزل اسم "Taliesin" ، وهو ما يعني "الحاجب اللامع" باللغة الويلزية. قسم رايت وقته بين مكتبه في شيكاغو و Taliesin حتى 15 أغسطس 1914 ، عندما اختل طاهيه ، أشعل النار في Taliesin ، وقتل تشيني ، اثنان من أطفالها وشخصين آخرين. أكمل لجنة Midway Garden في شيكاغو وبدأ في إعادة بناء Taliesin. بعد المأساة في Taliesin ، تلقى Wright رسالة تعزية من النحاتة تدعى Miriam Noel. أخيرًا بعد أكثر من عقد من الانفصال ، تزوج نويل المضطرب عقليًا في نوفمبر 1923 ، لكنهما انفصلا في مارس 1924 وطلقا في عام 1928 ، وبينما كان لا يزال متزوجًا من نويل ، واجه رايت يوغوسلافيا شابة ، أولغا ميلانوف هينزنبرج ، التي كانت تصغره بـ33 عامًا ، متزوجة ولكنها منفصلة ، وأم لطفلة صغيرة سفيتلانا. بعد حوالي ثلاث سنوات ، تزوج الزوجان رسميًا.مع حلول الكساد الكبير ، أصبحت اللجان المعمارية نادرة. وكانت النتيجة تحفة رايت السكنية ، Fallingwater ، المنزل المبني فوق شلال. في عام 1929 ، قضى رايت وقتًا في ولاية أريزونا يعمل على مشاريع. أصبح رايت وزملاؤه قادرين الآن على التناوب بين أريزونا وويسكونسن ، اعتمادًا على الموسم ، ولم يكن للعمر تأثير واضح على إنتاجية رايت. بعد الحرب العالمية الثانية ، حصل على عمولات لـ 270 منزلاً ، بالإضافة إلى متحف غوغنهايم في مدينة نيويورك ومركز مقاطعة مارين المدني في سان رافائيل ، كاليفورنيا. تم دفن جسده في Taliesin ، بالقرب من Unity Chapel ، والذي يعتبر أول مبنى له. أعاد فرانك لويد رايت تعريف الهندسة المعمارية وسارع بنهاية فترة الفن الحديث. يجب أن يكون الشكل والوظيفة واحدًا ، مرتبطين في اتحاد روحي ".


تنويه

خطط مسبقًا لزيارتك: هيدرات! ضع واقٍ من الشمس. أحضر قبعة و / أو مظلة للظل. فستان للطقس الحار.

إذا كان بإمكانك & # 8217t زيارتنا في المستقبل القريب ، فلا يزال بإمكانك دعم مهمتنا اليوم. فيما يلي ثلاث طرق يمكنك من خلالها دعم مؤسسة فرانك لويد رايت.
كن عضوا | تبرع الان | تسوق من متجر فرانك لويد رايت

السهم الملتوي

الأخبار والتحديثات من مؤسسة فرانك لويد رايت


تاريخ Taliesin

للحصول على معلومات حول فرانك لويد رايت ، يرجى زيارة منظمتنا الشقيقة ، مؤسسة فرانك لويد رايت.

تضم العائلة الويلزية الكبيرة من المزارعين والمعلمين والوزراء التي استقرت جزءًا من وادي نهر ويسكونسن بالقرب من سبرينغ جرين في منتصف القرن التاسع عشر امرأة شابة تدعى آنا لويد جونز. لفت هذا المعلم انتباه وليام كاري رايت ، الواعظ والموسيقي. وسرعان ما كسب ويليام مشاعرها وتزوجا. في 8 يونيو 1867 في مركز ريتشلاند ، وهي بلدة صغيرة تبعد 20 ميلاً إلى الغرب من سبرينج جرين ، أنجبت آنا ابنًا اسمه فرانك لويد رايت.

قضى رايت العديد من الصيف في سنوات مراهقته في المزرعة ، وكان عمه جيمس يعمل في الوادي. اعتبر رايت أن الوادي موطنه ... أكثر بكثير من المنزل في ماديسون ، ويسكونسن ، حيث أمضى بقية العام. خلال فصول الصيف التي قضاها في الوادي ، تعلم أن يولي اهتمامًا خاصًا لأنماط وإيقاعات الطبيعة. سوف تجد الدروس التي استخلصها من الطبيعة طريقها إلى عمله اللاحق مرارًا وتكرارًا.

1886 وحدة CHAPEL

Unity Chapel هي كنيسة صغيرة على طراز الألواح الخشبية صممها المهندس المعماري جوزيف ليمان سيلسبي من شيكاغو ، إلينوي. قام عم رايت ووزير الموحدين ، جينكين لويد جونز بتكليف الكنيسة ، وقام فرانك لويد رايت بتصميم الديكور الداخلي في سن 18 عامًا. وهذا يجعل من أوائل أعمال Unity Chapel Wright. مقبرة عائلية بالخارج تشمل مواقع قبور عائلة لويد جونز ، بما في ذلك قطعة الأرض الأصلية لرايت. لا تزال Unity Chapel تديرها عائلة Lloyd Jones. الخارج مفتوح للجمهور ، وتتوفر جولات داخلية عند الطلب.

1897 روميو وجولييت WINDMILL

تم تكليف روميو وجولييت ويندميل من قبل عمات رايت بضخ المياه لمدرستهم الداخلية المختلطة ، وقدم لهم رايت برج مراقبة مذهل من الخشب. يتميز التصميم ببرجين متقاطعين ، مع روميو كمقدمة عاصفة مثلثة ، تدعمها جولييت المثمنة. يسمح الهيكل الديناميكي الهوائي لرياح العاصفة بالمرور حول الهيكل دون التسبب في ضرر. في عام 1992 ، قامت Taliesin Preservation بترميم طاحونة الهواء بالكامل كأول مشروع لها في ملكية Taliesin ، بالشراكة مع مؤسسة Frank Lloyd Wright.

1907 TAN-Y-DERI

صمم رايت Tan-y-Deri كمسكن لأخته جين بورتر وعائلتها. عمل الحمالون في مدرسة Hillside Home School ، على المنحدر. ويلزي مصطلح "تحت البلوط" ، يقع Tan-y-Deri على تل مجاور لتاليسين وبجوار روميو وجولييت ويندميل. اعتمد التصميم على "A Fireproof House for $ 5000" من قبل Wright الذي ظهر في مقالة Ladies Home Journal. خضع Tan-y-Deri لعملية ترميم داخلية وخارجية شاملة اكتملت في عام 2017.

كان منزل رايت واستوديوه ومحمية الحديقة بمثابة مختبر للهندسة المعمارية والتصميم. تجسد Taliesin في تكراراتها الثلاثة أفكار رايت عن العمارة العضوية ، والتي تم توسيعها وصقلها من أعماله السابقة في مدرسة Prairie. من الساحات والحدائق إلى غرفة المعيشة ، ولوجيا ، وبيردووك ، يوفر Taliesin إطلالة رائعة على الوادي ، التي استقرها أسلاف Wright's Welsh. باستخدام الحجر الجيري المحلي الطبيعي ورمال نهر ويسكونسن ، يقف Taliesin كـ "حاجب لامع" على تل الصبا المفضل لدى رايت.

1911 تاليسين الأول

انتقل رايت إلى هذا الوادي بعد عامين من ترك عمله كمهندس معماري لمدة 20 عامًا في أوك بارك ، إلينوي. أراد أن يعيش ويعمل ويزرع في الوادي مع رفيقته ماما بورثويك. كتب لاحقًا ،

& # 8220 هذا التل الذي يقف عليه Taliesin الآن كـ "جبين" كان أحد الأماكن المفضلة لدي عندما كنت صبيا ، حيث نمت أزهار الباسك هناك في شمس مارس بينما كان الثلج لا يزال يبرز على سفوح التلال. ... & # 8221

في عام 1914 ، دمر الحرق المتعمد الأحياء السكنية في Taliesin - ثلث المنزل - وقتل سبعة.

1914 تاليسين الثاني

أعلن رايت على الفور أنه سيعيد بناء الجزء المدمر من Taliesin. في سيرته الذاتية ، كتب رايت لاحقًا: "يجب أن تعيش Taliesin لتظهر شيئًا من أجل تضحيتها المميتة أكثر من الخراب المتفحم والرهيب على منحدر تل منعزل في الوادي الحبيب." في Taliesin II ، أضاف غرفة ذات أرضية حجرية تسمى The Loggia يمكن من خلالها رؤية كنيسة العائلة.

1925 تاليسين الثالث

في أبريل 1925 ، حريق حريق كهربائي في غرفة نوم رايت دمر مسكن تاليسين مرة أخرى. كتب رايت - بحلول ذلك الوقت مع المستقبل السيدة رايت (أولجيفانا) - "عاشت Taliesin أينما كنت! تسلل شخص من الظل إلى الأمام ليقول لي هذا. وقد صدقت ما قاله أولجيفانا ". كما كتب ،

[T] بسبب بناء Taliesin الأول والثاني ، قمت بعمل أربعين ورقة من دراسات القلم الرصاص لبناء Taliesin III…. يجب أن يظهر الحاجب المتلألئ Taliesin & # 8217s ... ويتألق مرة أخرى بهدوء لم يكن معروفًا من قبل.

1932 تاليسين زمالة

شهد الكساد الكبير أن تأتي عمولات قليلة في طريق رايت. لم يتباطأ رايت أبدًا ، لكن رايت لجأ إلى الكتابة والإنتاج سيرة ذاتية و المدينة المختفية، كلاهما يستمر في التأثير على أجيال من المهندسين المعماريين. خلال هذا الوقت ، تلقى رايت العديد من الرسائل من أفراد مهتمين بالدراسة معه.

في عام 1932 ، أسس فرانك وأولجيفانا لويد رايت زمالة تاليسين Taliesin Fellowship ، وهي عبارة عن مجتمع يوفر تدريبًا معماريًا بنهج شامل "التعلم بالممارسة" الذي يؤكد على تقدير جميع الفنون ، والذي غالبًا ما سمح للطلاب بالتصميم والعمل على الهياكل الموجودة في ملكية Taliesin. يعيش المجتمع اليوم كمدرسة فرانك لويد رايت للهندسة المعمارية التي لا يزال أعضاؤها ، من أعضاء هيئة التدريس والمتدربين ، معروفين بشكل غير رسمي باسم زمالة Taliesin والذين يقيمون في Taliesin خلال أشهر الصيف.

أصبحت مدرسة Hillside Home School ، المبنى الذي صممه رايت في عام 1902 لمدرسة عماته الداخلية في الوادي ، الحرم الجامعي المركزي للزمالة. بإلهام ومساعدة مجموعة شابة ومتحمسة من المتدربين ، أعاد رايت تشكيل المدرسة وتوسيعها ، مضيفًا استوديو صياغة بمساحة 5000 قدم مربع ، وتحويل الصالة الرياضية إلى مسرح وإضافة سكن للمتدربين الجدد.

1952 ميدواي بارن

يقع Midway Barn بين Taliesin و Hillside School. عند النزول من التل ، كان بمثابة مركز الزراعة للملكية ابتداء من الأربعينيات. نمت شركة Midway مع توسع العمليات على مدار العقود مع برج الحلب الملتف الذي يعد "قصيدة رايت لحلمة غيرنزي".

1955 HillSIDE STUDIO & amp Theatre

يشمل مجمع المباني في Hillside مساحات من جميع أنحاء مهنة رايت كمصمم: استوديو صياغة "الغابة المجردة" (1939) ، و Hillside Assembly Hall (1903) ، و Hillside Theatre (1955) ، وقاعة طعام الزمالة (1955) . تعد Hillside موطنًا لمدرسة الهندسة المعمارية في Taliesin ، ويمكن رؤية الطلاب المقيمين هنا من منتصف مايو حتى منتصف أكتوبر في العمل في الاستوديو. قاعة الجمعية مثال على خطوات رايت في "تدمير صندوق" التصميم المعماري التقليدي. يشتمل مسرح Hillside على ستارة مسرح تم تكييفها من تجريد هندسي صممه رايت لمناظر Taliesin.

1967 مركز زوار فرانك لويد رايت

صمم رايت Riverview Terrace باعتباره "بوابة إلى Taliesin" من شأنها أن تضم مطعمًا ، بالإضافة إلى مكاتب ومساحة اجتماعات للمهندسين المعماريين في Taliesin. بدأ البناء تحت إشراف رايت وتوقف عند وفاة رايت في عام 1959. في عام 1967 افتتح Riverview Terrace كمطعم Spring Green كجزء من الاستثمار في تطوير مجتمع الفنون في Spring Green على طول نهر ويسكونسن. اشترت Taliesin Preservation المبنى في عام 1993 وقامت بتكييفه ليكون بمثابة مركز زوار Frank Lloyd Wright.

1990 الحفاظ على تاليسين

منظمة غير ربحية تأسست بناءً على توصية من لجنة بلو ريبون التي أذن بها الحاكم تومي طومسون في عام 1988 ، ترمم Taliesin Preservation وتحافظ على منزل فرانك لويد رايت ، Taliesin ، والمباني الإضافية التي صممها رايت على مساحة 800 فدان تاليسين. يشمل العمل الحفظ المادي ، وإصلاح ، وترميم الأثاث والمواد ، وتحديث أنظمة التدفئة والتهوية وتكييف الهواء مع إعادة المباني والعقارات إلى العقد الأخير من حياة رايت.

مصدر الصورة: متحف شيكاغو للتاريخ ، ICHi89169 ، ريموند دبليو تروبريدج ، مصور.


تاريخ

قام فرانك لويد رايت ، المهندس المعماري والمصمم والكاتب والمعلم الأمريكي ، بالترويج للعمارة العضوية ، والتي كان أفضل مثال لها في أعماله الأكثر شهرة - Fallingwater. خلال حياته المهنية التي دامت سبعين عامًا ، صمم رايت أكثر من 1100 مبنى (شاهد أكثر من 500 مبنى منها) ، وألف عشرين كتابًا والعديد من المقالات ، وكان محاضرًا مشهورًا في الولايات المتحدة وأوروبا حتى وفاته. اشتهر رايت خلال حياته ، ويعتبر الآن "أعظم مهندس معماري أمريكي في كل العصور".

فرانك لويد رايت (1867-1959)

وُلِد فرانك لينكولن رايت في مركز ريتشلاند ، ويسكونسن ، في 8 يونيو 1867 ، لوالد ويليام كاري رايت ، مدرس الموسيقى المتجول ، والملحن ، والوزيرة المعمدانية ، وآنا لويد جونز رايت ، معلمة مدرسة. بعد طلاق والديه في عام 1885 ، غير فرانك اسمه الأوسط إلى لويد لتكريم عائلة والدته.

على الرغم من أن والدته الطموحة وذات العقلية القوية زينت جدران المشتل بصور الكاتدرائيات الأوروبية ، إلا أن رايت لم يكن جمالًا من صنع الإنسان في البداية. نشأ رايت في ريف ولاية ويسكونسن على قطعة أرض استقرها في الأصل أسلاف والدته الويلزية ، وأمضى أيامه محاطًا بالمناظر الطبيعية المتغيرة - وفي الواقع جزء منها. أثبتت مجموعة من الحقول المفتوحة والوديان الخضراء المورقة والجداول ذات الحواف الصخرية التي يغذيها نهر ويسكونسن تأثيرها في تشكيل فلسفته فيما بعد في التصميم العضوي.

عاشت عائلة رايت في مزرعة ، وكصبي ، تركت تجربته في رعاية الحيوانات وحصاد الحياة من الأرض انطباعًا لا يمحى عليه ، مما أثر عليه بوعي ، والأهم من ذلك ، بشكل غير واع ، طوال حياته. خلال فترة شبابه ، أمضى ساعات طويلة في مراقبة السلوك الخفي لأشعة الشمس ، والظلال المتغيرة للغسق وتغير الفصول. وبسبب الانبهار ، سعى لاحقًا إلى البحث عن مفكرين عظماء أكدت معتقداتهم وصقلتها في نهاية المطاف ، مثل ثورو وإيمرسون وويتمان.

أصبح تقديس رايت للعالم الطبيعي حجر الزاوية في نظرياته الرائدة في "العمارة العضوية" وستشكل وتحدد وتعزز كل مشروع اقترب منه لبقية حياته. كانت الأجيال تشيد بفرانك لويد رايت باعتباره عبقريًا ... أحد أعظم المهندسين المعماريين الذين عاشوا على الإطلاق. ولكن مثل الحقول المشمسة حيث كان يلعب في طفولته ، فإن حياته ستظل كذلك.

لقد لوحظ أن مسيرة رايت المهنية كانت متزامنة مع ولادة وتطور العمارة الحديثة. بدأ حياته المهنية عام 1887 في شيكاغو ، أولاً في مكتب جوزيف ليمان سيلسبي ثم في شركة Adler & amp Sullivan ، تحت إشراف المهندس المعماري الشهير لويس سوليفان.

عندما تم اكتشاف أنه كان يطلب عمولاته الخاصة ، قام بعد ذلك بإنشاء عيادة خاصة في منزله في أوك بارك ، مضيفًا استوديو صياغة وغرفة استقبال للزوار في عام 1895. هناك أتقن أسلوب البراري المميز الخاص به ، مع التركيز على المساحات المفتوحة والضحلة والمنحدرة خطوط السقف. كان أسلوب البراري ، وخاصة المنازل المشابهة لمنزل فريدريك سي روبي ، مؤثرًا للغاية في الغرب الأوسط على وجه الخصوص ، ويعتبر علامة فارقة في تاريخ العمارة الحديثة.

في العقود الأولى من القرن العشرين ، تماشت إنتاجية فرانك لويد رايت بشدة مع افتتان الجمهور بحياته الشخصية. توجت علاقة رفيعة المستوى مع أحد العملاء ، وانفصاله عن زوجته التي حظيت بتغطية إعلامية جيدة ، وإقامته لمدة عام في أوروبا ، بعودته إلى الولايات المتحدة في عام 1911 وشرائه قطعة أرض من أسلافه في ويسكونسن ، حيث كان سيبني معتكفه واستوديوه الشهير Taliesin.

الوادي المحيط بتاليسين تمت تسويته في الأصل من قبل عائلة رايت الأم ، لويد جونزيس ، خلال الحرب الأهلية. المهاجرون الويلزيون ، كان جد رايت لأمه وعمه قساوسة موحدين ، وقد أسست عمته مدرسة هيلسايد هوم ، وهي مدرسة داخلية مختلطة. أثرت عائلة لويد جونز وأفكارهم ودينهم ومثلهم بشكل كبير على الشاب رايت ، الذي اختار الكلمة الويلزية Taliesin ، والتي تعني "الحاجب الساطع" لوضعه على "حاجب" التل المفضل.

تضمنت الأحداث المثيرة اللاحقة في Taliesin مقتل سبعة أشخاص ، بما في ذلك عشيقة رايت في ذلك الوقت ، بحرق متعمد في عام 1914. بالتزامن مع انهيار زواجه الثاني في عشرينيات القرن الماضي ، حريق مدمر ثان في Taliesin في عام 1925 ، وبدء الكساد الكبير ، واجهت مهنة رايت خسارة العمولات. ما تم تصميمه كملاذ من التدقيق العام سرعان ما ازدهر ليصبح برنامج تدريب مهني معماري تجريبي حيث نما Taliesin ببطء ليشمل مباني مدرسة Hillside Home School السابقة عندما شكل رايت زمالة Taliesin مع زوجته الثالثة ، Olgivanna ، في عام 1932.

استخدم رايت الزمالة كطريقة لاستكشاف أفكاره عن العمارة العضوية وتفعيلها. كانت Taliesin مليئة بالمصاعب ، ولكن هناك أيضًا نشأة Fallingwater تبلورت. مع المناظر الطبيعية غير العادية لولاية ويسكونسن وعلاقتها الرومانسية بالطبيعة ، أشارت Taliesin إلى نضج من شأنه أن يزدهر بالكامل - بعد بضع سنوات فقط - بين الرودودندرون في المناطق الريفية الجنوبية الغربية من ولاية بنسلفانيا.

في عام 1934 ، بعد أن عاد لتوه إلى الولايات المتحدة من إقامة طويلة في أوروبا ، إدغار كوفمان جونيور. تم تقديم المفاهيم الفريدة لفرانك لويد رايت عن طريق الصدفة. اقترح عليه صديق أن يقرأ سيرة ذاتية، تقرير رايت لعام 1932 لحياته حيث أعرب المهندس المعماري البالغ من العمر 65 عامًا عن رأيه في تربيته ومبانيه والأفكار المتطرفة إلى حد ما التي أدت إلى سمعته باعتباره عبقريًا ملونًا ومبتكرًا للنهج "العضوي" للتصميم المعماري الحديث والبناء. تأثر فورًا بإيمان رايت بأن للفن مهمة إنسانية ونبيلة لخدمة الإنسان في انسجام مع محيطه الطبيعي ، شعر كوفمان بأن كلمات المهندس المعماري "تدفقت في ذهني مثل أول قطرة ري في أرض صحراوية". زار رايت في Taliesin في سبتمبر 1934 ، وبحلول أكتوبر أخذ مكانه بين المتدربين هناك.

على الرغم من عدم وجود خطط ليصبح مهندسًا معماريًا ، بدأ كوفمان الشاب أيضًا في مناقشة أفكار رايت بحماس مع والديه. بعد زيارة إلى Taliesin في عام 1934 ، بدأ Edgar Kaufmann ، الأب ، مراسلات غير رسمية مع المهندس المعماري فيما يتعلق بالعديد من المشاريع المدنية المحتملة في بيتسبرغ. سرعان ما أدرك كوفمان شغفهما المتبادل بالأفكار الجديدة والجمال الجمالي والعلاقة بين الإنسان والعالم الطبيعي ووجد رايت راعًا من شأنه أن يغير مجرى حياته وحياته المهنية وفي الواقع العمارة الحديثة نفسها.


فرانك لويد رايت وكلوكيه: اتصال تاريخي

أمضى فرانك لويد رايت ، المولود في يونيو 1867 ، أكثر من 70 عامًا في تصميم الهياكل المعترف بها على المستوى الوطني والتي استمرت في التأثير على الهندسة المعمارية. أمضى حياته في السفر حول العالم - التعلم والتعليم والتصميم.

إذن ، ما الذي دفع المهندس المعماري الشهير إلى اختيار Cloquet كمنزل ليس لتصميم واحد ، بل لاثنين من تصميماته؟ الجواب أبسط مما قد يعتقده الناس ، وقد بدأ الأمر كله بطالبين جامعيين.

في أوائل الخمسينيات من القرن الماضي ، كان راي ليندهولم المقيم في Cloquet وصاحب العمل يبحث عن منزله المثالي في مكان ما في المنطقة المحلية. أسس ليندهولم شركة Lindholm Oil Company في عام 1939 ووضع عينيه على هدف جديد يتمثل في بناء منزل له ولزوجته Emmy.

في ذلك الوقت ، شجعته ابنته جويس ماكيني وزوجها داريل ماكيني على توظيف رايت في المشروع. لقد أعجبوا بعمل رايت أثناء دراستهم في جامعة مينيسوتا واعتقدوا أنه سيكون لائقًا.

سرعان ما سافرت العائلة إلى منزل رايت في سبرينج جرين ، ويسكونسن ، وطلبت مساعدته.

أخبرت جويس ماكيني صحيفة باين جورنال في مقابلة عام 2008 أن رايت كان على استعداد لتصميم خطة المنزل على الفور.

قالت: "كان سهل الوصول إليه للغاية ، ولا أعتقد أنه مشغول للغاية أيضًا".

غالبًا ما تولى رايت مشاريع أصغر حجمًا وصمم أكثر من 400 منزل في الولايات المتحدة خلال حياته.

قال ذات مرة للمهندسين المعماريين: "اعتبر أن بناء بيت دجاج أمر مرغوب فيه تمامًا مثل بناء كاتدرائية".

عند اكتماله في عام 1952 ، امتد منزل Lindholm حوالي 2300 قدم مربع في منطقة مشجرة بكثافة في Cloquet.

فجر المنزل باسم Mäntylä - الفنلندية التي تعني "منزل بين أشجار الصنوبر" - وظل في كلوكيه حتى عام 2016 ، عندما تبرع به مالكا المنزل آنذاك بيتر وجولين ماكيني إلى محمية Usonian في أكمي ، بنسلفانيا.

لكن العلاقة لم تنته بانتهاء المنزل. بينما كان راي ليندهولم يحلم بمنزل ، كان رايت يحلم بمحطة خدمة.

كان رايت يعمل على تصميمات لمحطات الخدمة منذ عشرينيات القرن الماضي ، وكان يعتقد أنها كانت جزءًا مهمًا في خطته الحضرية الفاضلة المعروفة باسم "بروداكر سيتي".

كتب رايت في سيرته الذاتية: "قد تكون محطة الخدمة على جانب الطريق ، في جنينها ، مركز توزيع المدينة المستقبلية".

لسوء الحظ ، لم تؤت أي من تصميماته للمحطات ثمارها ، وكان رايت يقترب من نهاية حياته المهنية.

لذلك ، عندما علم أن عائلة ليندهولم تمتلك شركة نفط ، انتهز الفرصة لرؤية أحد تصميمات محطته ينبض بالحياة.

قال مايك مكيني ، حفيد ليندولم و # 039 ، لصحيفة باين جورنال في عام 2009: "في الأساس ، أقنع رايت جدي بالسماح له بتنفيذ المشروع".

اعتمد رايت التصميم على بعض خططه السابقة ، مع بعض التعديلات الطفيفة التي تم إجراؤها في ضوء قوانين مكافحة الحرائق المحلية.

لقد أراد أن يكون خطوة للأمام من محطات الخدمة الأخرى ، وقام بتجهيزها بمظلة نحاسية بطول 32 قدمًا وصالة للضيوف للانتظار حتى يتم إصلاح سياراتهم.

تبلغ تكلفة التصميم والبناء حوالي 75000 دولار ، مقارنةً بمبلغ 25000 دولار المعتاد ، لكن جويس ماكيني أخبرت Duluth News Tribune أن والدها لم يتوانى عن السعر.

في النهاية ، كان التصميم فريدًا وملفتًا للانتباه ، لكنه لم يكن عمليًا ، وفقًا للمدير السابق دونالد لينش.

قال لينش لصحيفة Duluth News Tribune في عام 1982: "من المؤسف أن فرانك لويد رايت لم يكن يعرف أي شيء عن محطات الخدمة عندما صممها" ، مستشهدة بمكتب مبيعات ضيق وحمامات يتعذر الوصول إليها.

صمم رايت كلاً من منزل ومحطة خدمة Lindholm دون زيارة المنطقة. استخدم الخرائط الطبوغرافية لرسم خططه ، وأرسل متدربه روبرت بوند للإشراف على محطة الخدمة وبناء # 039s.

على الرغم من أن رايت لم تطأ قدمه أبدًا في Cloquet ، يبدو أن عائلتَي Lindholm و Mckinney كانا على اتصال مستمر بالمهندس المعماري.

بالإضافة إلى زيارة منزله في ولاية ويسكونسن ، سافرت العائلة أيضًا إلى أريزونا لرؤية رايت ، الذي صمم منزلًا ثانيًا للعائلة ، لكن لم يتم بناؤه مطلقًا.

بينما وصف الكثيرون رايت بأنه مغرور بالغرور ، قالت جويس ماكيني لصحيفة Duluth News Tribune إنه كان "لطيفًا." واحتفظت العائلة بصورة رايت التي التقطها داريل ماكيني ، حيث تم تصويره وهو يحمل نظارته في يد واحدة ، وينظر إلى الجانب. .

قالت جويس ماكيني لصحيفة News Tribune إن رايت كره الصورة ومزق الصورة الأصلية ، قائلة إنها جعلته يبدو كبيرًا في السن. لحسن الحظ ، قامت بعمل نسخة أخرى ، والتي لا تزال العائلة تمتلكها حتى اليوم.

افتتحت محطة RW Lindholm الكبرى في عام 1958. توفي رايت بعد خمسة أشهر ، بعد أن أكمل هدفه المهني الأخير.

في حين أنها لم تعد مملوكة للعائلة الأصلية ، أصبحت المحطة تُعرف باسم محطة وقود فرانك لويد رايت وتم تسجيلها من خلال السجل الوطني للأماكن التاريخية في عام 1985.

في عام 2008 ، أعلن رئيس البلدية آنذاك بروس ألغرين يوم 7 أغسطس يوم فرانك لويد رايت في كلوكيه.


انتصار فرانك لويد رايت

كان المبنى الأكثر شهرة لفرانك لويد رايت أيضًا واحدًا من آخر مبانيه. The reinforced-concrete spiral known as the Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum opened in New York City 50 years ago, on October 21, 1959 six months before, Wright died at the age of 92. He had devoted 16 years to the project, facing down opposition from a budget-conscious client, building-code sticklers and, most significantly, artists who doubted that paintings could be displayed properly on a slanting spiral ramp. "No, it is not to subjugate the paintings to the building that I conceived this plan," Wright wrote to Harry Guggenheim, a Thoroughbred horse breeder and founder of نيوزداي who, as the benefactor's nephew, took over the project after Solomon's death. "On the contrary, it was to make the building and the painting a beautiful symphony such as never existed in the world of Art before."

من هذه القصة

فيديو: Constructing the Guggenheim

The grandiloquent tone and unwavering self-assurance are as much Wright trademarks as the building's unbroken and open space. Time has indeed shown the Guggenheim's tilted walls and continuous ramp to be an awkward place to hang paintings, yet the years have also confirmed that in designing a building that bestowed brand-name recognition on a museum, Wright was prophetic. Four decades later, Frank Gehry's Guggenheim Bilbao—the curvaceous, titanium-clad affiliated museum in northern Spain—would launch a wave of cutting-edge architectural schemes for art institutions across the globe. But Wright was there first. A retrospective exhibition at the original Guggenheim (until August 23) reveals how often Wright pioneered trends that other architects would later embrace. Passive solar heating, open-plan offices, multi-storied hotel atriums—all are now common, but at the time Wright designed them they were revolutionary.

When Solomon Guggenheim, the heir to a mining fortune, and his art adviser, Hilla Rebay, decided to construct a museum for abstract painting (which they called "non-objective art"), Wright was a natural choice as architect. In Rebay's words, the two were seeking "a temple of spirit, a monument" and Wright, through his long career, was a builder of temples and monuments. These included actual places of worship, such as Unity Temple (1905-8) for a Unitarian congregation in Oak Park, Illinois, one of the early masterpieces that proclaimed Wright's genius, and Beth Sholom Synagogue (1953-59) in Elkins Park, Pennsylvania, which, like the Guggenheim, he supervised at the end of his life. But in everything he undertook, the goal of enhancing and elevating the human experience was always on Wright's mind. In his religious buildings, he used many of the same devices—bold geometric forms, uninterrupted public spaces and oblique-angled seating—as in his secular ones. The large communal room with overhead lighting that is the centerpiece of Unity Temple was an idea he had introduced in the Larkin Company Administration Building (1902-6), a mail-order house in Buffalo, New York. And before it reappeared in Beth Sholom, what he called "reflex-angle seating"—in which the audience fanned out at 30-degree angles around a projecting stage—was an organizing principle in his theater plans, starting in the early 1930s. To Wright's way of thinking, any building, if properly designed, could be a temple.

In his unshakable optimism, messianic zeal and pragmatic resilience, Wright was quintessentially American. A central theme that pervades his architecture is a recurrent question in American culture: How do you balance the need for individual privacy with the attraction of community activity? Everyone craves periods of solitude, but in Wright's view, a human being develops fully only as a social creature. In that context, angled seating allowed audience members to concentrate on the stage and simultaneously function as part of the larger group. Similarly, a Wright house contained, along with private bedrooms and baths, an emphasis on unbroken communal spaces—a living room that flowed into a kitchen, for example—unknown in domestic residences when he began his practice in the Victorian era. As early as 1903, given the opportunity to lay out a neighborhood (in Oak Park, which was never built), Wright proposed a "quadruple block plan" that placed an identical brick house on each corner of a block he shielded the inhabitants from the public street with a low wall and oriented them inward toward connected gardens that encouraged exchanges with their neighbors. Good architecture, Wright wrote in a 1908 essay, should promote the democratic ideal of "the highest possible expression of the individual as a unit not inconsistent with a harmonious whole."

That vision animates the Guggenheim Museum. In the course of descending the building's spiral ramp, a visitor can focus on works of art without losing awareness of other museumgoers above and below. To that bifocal consciousness, the Guggenheim adds a novel element: a sense of passing time. "The strange thing about the ramp—I always feel I am in a space-time continuum, because I see where I've been and where I'm going," says Bruce Brooks Pfeiffer, director of the Frank Lloyd Wright Archives in Scottsdale, Arizona. As Wright approached the end of his life, that perception of continuity—recalling where he had been while advancing into the future—must have appealed to him. And, looking back, he would have seen telling examples in his personal history of the tension between the individual and the community, between private desires and social expectations.

Wright's father, William, was a restless, chronically dissatisfied Protestant minister and organist who moved the family, which included Wright's two younger sisters, from town to town until he obtained a divorce in 1885 and took off for good. Wright, who was 17 at the time, never saw his father again. His mother's family, the combative Lloyd Joneses, were Welsh immigrants who became prominent citizens of an agricultural valley near the village of Hillside, Wisconsin. Wright himself might have written the family motto: "Truth Against the World." Encouraged by his maternal relatives, Wright showed an early aptitude for architecture he made his initial forays into building design by working on a chapel, a school and two houses in Hillside, before apprenticing in Chicago with the celebrated architect Louis H. Sullivan. Sullivan's specialty was office buildings, including classic skyscrapers, such as the Carson Pirie Scott & Company building, which were transforming the Chicago skyline.

But Wright devoted himself primarily to private residences, developing what he called "Prairie Style" houses, mostly in Oak Park, the Chicago suburb in which he established his own home. Low-slung, earth-hugging buildings with strong horizontal lines and open circulation through the public rooms, they were stripped clean of unnecessary decoration and used machine-made components. The Prairie Style revolutionized home design by responding to the domestic needs and tastes of modern families. Wright had firsthand knowledge of their requirements: in 1889, at 21, he had married Catherine Lee Tobin, 18, the daughter of a Chicago businessman, and, in short order, fathered six children.

Like his own father, however, Wright exhibited a deep ambivalence toward family life. "I hated the sound of the word papa," he wrote in his 1932 autobiography. Dissatisfaction with domesticity predisposed him toward a similarly discontented Oak Park neighbor: Mamah Cheney, a client's wife, whose career as head librarian in Port Huron, Michigan, had been thwarted by marriage and who found the duties of wife and mother a poor substitute. The Wrights and Cheneys socialized as a foursome, until, as Wright later described it, "the thing happened that has happened to men and women since time began—the inevitable." In June 1909, Mamah Cheney told her husband that she was leaving him she joined Wright in Germany, where he was preparing a book on his work. The scandal titillated newspapers—the شيكاغو تريبيون quoted Catherine as saying she had been the victim of a "vampire" seductress. Wright was painfully conflicted about walking out on his wife and children. He attempted a reconciliation with Catherine in 1910, but then resolved to live with Cheney, whose own work—a translation of the writings of Swedish feminist Ellen Key—provided intellectual support for this convention-defying step. Leaving the Oak Park gossipmongers behind, the couple retreated to the Wisconsin valley of the Lloyd Joneses to start anew.

Just below the crest of a hill in Spring Green, Wright designed a secluded house he called "Taliesin," or "shining brow," after a Welsh bard of that name. A rambling dwelling made of local limestone, Taliesin was the culmination of the Prairie Style, a big house with long roofs extending over the walls. By all accounts, Wright and Cheney lived there happily for three years, slowly winning over neighbors who had been prejudiced by the publicity that preceded them—until Taliesin became the setting for the greatest tragedy of the architect's long and eventful life. On August 15, 1914, while Wright was in Chicago on business, a deranged young cook locked the dining room and set it ablaze, standing with a hatchet at the only exit to bar all inside from leaving. Cheney and her two visiting children were among the seven who died. On the anguished journey to Wisconsin, a devastated Wright and his son John shared a train car with Cheney's former husband. Wright immediately vowed to rebuild the house, which was mostly in ruins. But he never fully recovered emotionally. "Something in him died with her, something loveable and gentle," his son later wrote in a memoir. (In April 1925, as the result of defective wiring, the second Taliesin also suffered a calamitous fire it would be replaced by a third.)

Wright's domestic life took another turn when a condolence letter from a wealthy divorcée, the determinedly artistic Miriam Noel, led to a meeting and—less than six months after Cheney's death—to an invitation for Noel to come live with Wright at Taliesin. With her financial help, he reconstructed the damaged house. But Taliesin II did not become the sanctuary he sought. Wright was a theatrical personality, with a penchant for flowing hair, Norfolk jackets and low-hanging neckties. Yet even by his standards, the needy Noel was flamboyantly attention-seeking. Jealous of his devotion to Cheney's memory, she staged noisy altercations, leading to an angry separation only nine months after they met. Although the split appeared to be final, in November 1922, Wright obtained a divorce from Catherine and married Noel a year later. But wedlock only exacerbated their problems. Five months after the wedding, Noel left him, opening an exchange of ugly accusations and countercharges in a divorce proceeding that would drag on for years.

During this tempestuous period, Wright had worked on just a few major projects: the Imperial Hotel in Tokyo, the Midway Gardens pleasure park in Chicago, and Taliesin. All three were expansions and refinements of work he had done previously rather than new directions. From 1915 to 1925, Wright executed only 29 commissions, a drastic drop-off from the output of his youth when, between 1901 and 1909, he built 90 of 135 commissions. In 1932, in their influential Museum of Modern Art exhibition on the "International Style" in architecture, Philip Johnson and Henry-Russell Hitchcock listed Wright among the "older generation" of architects. Indeed, by this time Wright had been a force in American architecture for more than three decades and was devoting most of his time to giving lectures and publishing essays it was easy to believe that his best years were behind him. But in fact, many of his most heralded works were still to come.

On November 30, 1924, attending a ballet in Chicago, Wright had noticed a young woman seated next to him. "I secretly observed her aristocratic bearing, no hat, her dark hair parted in the middle and smoothed over her ears, a light small shawl over her shoulders, little or no makeup, very simply dressed," he wrote in his autobiography. Wright "instantly liked her looks." For her part, 26-year-old Olgivanna Lazovich Hinzenberg, a Montenegrin educated in Russia, had come to Chicago to try to salvage her marriage to a Russian architect, with whom she had had a daughter, Svetlana. Even before taking her seat, she would recall in an unpublished memoir, she had noticed "a strikingly handsome, noble head with a crown of wavy grey hair." Upon discovering that the ticket she had purchased at the last minute seated her next to this poetic-looking man, her "heart beat fast." During the performance, he turned to her and said, "Don't you think that these dancers and the dances are dead?" She nodded in agreement. "And he smiled, looking at me with unconcealed admiration," she recalled. "I knew then that this was to be." In February 1925, Hinzenberg moved into Taliesin II, where they both waited for their divorces to become final. On the very night in 1925 that Taliesin II burned, she told him that she was pregnant with their child, a daughter they would name Iovanna. They wed on August 25, 1928, and lived together for the rest of Wright's life. The rebuilt Taliesin III would be home to Svetlana and Iovanna—and, in a broader sense, to a community of students and young architects that, beginning in 1932, the Wrights invited to come live and work with them as the Taliesin Fellowship. After Wright suffered a spell of pneumonia in 1936, the community expanded to a wintertime settlement he designed in Scottsdale, Arizona, on the outskirts of Phoenix. He dubbed it Taliesin West.

In the last quarter-century of his life, Wright pushed his ideas as far as he could. The cantilevering that he had employed for the exaggeratedly horizontal roofs of the Prairie Style houses assumed a new grandeur in Fallingwater (1934-37), the country house for Pittsburgh department-store owner Edgar Kaufmann Sr., which Wright composed of broad planes of concrete terraces and flat roofs, and—in a stroke of panache—he perched over a waterfall in western Pennsylvania. (Like many Wright buildings, Fallingwater has better stood the test of time aesthetically than physically. It required an $11.5 million renovation, completed in 2003, to correct its sagging cantilevers, leaking roofs and terraces, and interior mildew infestation.) While designing Fallingwater, Wright also transformed the skylit open clerical space of the early Larkin Building into the Great Workroom of the Johnson Wax Company Administration Building (1936) in Racine, Wisconsin, with its graceful columns that, modeled on lily pads, spread to support disks with overhead skylights of Pyrex glass tubing.

Wright's ambition to elevate American society through architecture grew exponentially from the quadruple block plan in Oak Park to the scheme for Broadacre City—a proposal in the 1930s for a sprawling, low-rise development that would roll out a patchwork of houses, farms and businesses, connected by highways and monorails, across the American landscape. His desire to provide affordable, individualized homes that met the needs of middle-class Americans found its ultimate expression in the "Usonian" houses he introduced in 1937 and continued to develop afterward: customizable homes that were positioned on their sites to capture winter sun for passive solar heating and outfitted with eaves to provide summer shade constructed with glass, brick and wood that made surface decoration such as paint or wallpaper superfluous lit by clerestory windows beneath the roofline and by built-in electric fixtures shielded from the street to afford privacy and supplemented with an open carport, in deference to the means of transportation that could ultimately decentralize cities. "I don't build a house without predicting the end of the present social order," Wright said in 1938. "Every building is a missionary."

His use of "missionary" was revealing. Wright said that his architecture always aimed to serve the client's needs. But he relied on his own assessment of those needs. Speaking of residential clients, he once said, "It's their duty to understand, to appreciate, and conform insofar as possible to the idea of the house." Toward the end of his life, he constructed his second and last skyscraper, the 19-story H. C. Price Company Office Tower (1952-56) in Bartlesville, Oklahoma. After it was completed, Wright appeared with his client at a convocation in town. "A person in the audience asked the question, ‘What's your first prerequisite?'" archivist Pfeiffer recalled. "Mr. Wright said, ‘Well, to fulfill a client's wishes.' To which Price said, ‘I wanted a three-story building.' Mr. Wright said, ‘You didn't know what you wanted.'"

In developing the Guggenheim Museum, Wright exercised his usual latitude in interpreting the client's wishes as well as his equally typical flair for high-flown comparisons. He described the form he came up with as an "inverted ziggurat," which nicely linked it to the temples in the Mesopotamian Cradle of Civilization. In fact, the Guggenheim traced its immediate lineage to an unbuilt Wright project that the architect based on the typology of a parking garage—a spiral ramp he designed in 1924 for the mountaintop Gordon Strong Automobile Objective and Planetarium. Wright envisioned visitors driving their cars up an exterior ramp and handing them over to valets for conveyance to the bottom. They could then walk down a pedestrian ramp, admiring the landscape before reaching the planetarium at ground level. "I have found it hard to look a snail in the face since I stole the idea of his house—from his back," Wright wrote to Strong, after the Chicago businessman expressed dissatisfaction with the plans. "The spiral is so natural and organic a form for whatever would ascend that I did not see why it should not be played upon and made equally available for descent at one and the same time." Yet Wright also admitted admiration for the industrial designs of Albert Kahn—a Detroit-based architect whose reinforced-concrete, ramped parking garages foreshadowed both the Strong Automobile Objective and the Guggenheim.

In the long negotiations over costs and safety-code stipulations that protracted the construction of the museum, Wright was forced to compromise. "Architecture, may it please the court, is the welding of imagination and common sense into a restraint upon specialists, codes and fools," he wrote in a draft cover letter for an application to the Board of Standards and Appeals. (At the urging of Harry Guggenheim, he omitted the word "fools.") One sacrificed feature was an unconventional glass elevator that would have whisked visitors to the summit, from which they would then descend on foot. Instead, the museum has had to get by with a prosaic elevator far too small to cope with the attending crowds as a result, most visitors survey an exhibition while ascending the ramp. Curators typically arrange their shows with that in mind. "You cannot get enough people into that tiny elevator," says David van der Leer, an assistant curator of architecture and design, who worked on the Wright exhibition. "The building is so much more heavily trafficked these days that you would need an elevator in the central void to do that."

Installation of the Wright retrospective brought into high relief the discrepancies between the building's symbolic power and its functional capabilities. For instance, to display Wright's drawings—an unparalleled assortment, which for conservation reasons will not be on view again for at least a decade—the curators placed a mesh fabric "shower cap" on the overhead dome to weaken the light, which otherwise would cause the colors on the paper drawings to fade. "On the one hand, you want to display the building as well as possible, and on the other, you need to show the drawings," van der Leer explains.

The Guggenheim emerged last year from a $28 mil­lion, four-year restoration, during which cracks and water damage in the concrete were patched, and the peeling exterior paint (10 to 12 layers' worth) was removed and replaced. Wright buildings are notorious for their maintenance difficulties. During Wright's lifetime, the problems were aggravated by the architect's expressed indifference. One famous story recounts an outraged phone call made by Herbert Johnson, an important Wright client, to report that at a dinner party in his new house, water from a leaky roof was dripping on his head. Wright suggested he move his chair.

Still, when you consider that in many projects the architect designed every element, down to the furniture and light fixtures, his bloopers are understandable. Proudly describing the Larkin Building, Wright said, many years after it opened, "I was a real Leonardo da Vinci when I built that building, everything in it was my invention." Because he was constantly pushing the latest technologies to their utmost, Wright probably resigned himself to the inevitable shortfalls that accompany experimentation. "Wright remained throughout his life the romantic he had been since childhood," historian William Cronon wrote in 1994. "As such, he brought a romantic's vision and a romantic's scale of values to the practical challenges of his life." If the architect seemed not to take the glitches in his built projects too seriously, it may be that his mind was elsewhere. "Every time I go into that building, it is such an uplifting of the human spirit," says Pfeiffer, who probably is the best living guide to Wright's thinking about the Guggenheim. The museum is often said by architectural critics to constitute the apotheosis of Wright's lifelong desire to make space fluid and continuous. But it represents something else as well. By inverting the ziggurat so that the top keeps getting wider, Wright said he was inventing a form of "pure optimism." Even in his 90s, he kept his mind open to expanding possibilities.

Arthur Lubow wrote about the 17th-century Italian sculptor Gian Lorenzo Bernini in the October 2008 issue.


Prairie School Architecture

A year later, Wright began an apprenticeship with the Chicago architectural firm of Adler and Sullivan, working directly under Louis Sullivan, the great American architect best known as "the father of skyscrapers." Sullivan, who rejected ornate European styles in favor of a cleaner aesthetic summed up by his maxim "form follows function," had a profound influence on Wright, who would eventually carry Sullivan&aposs dream of defining a uniquely American style of architecture to completion. Wright worked for Sullivan until 1893 when he breached their contract by accepting private commissions to design homes and the two parted ways.

In 1889, a year after he began working for Louis Sullivan, the 22-year-old Wright married a 19-year-old woman named Catherine Tobin, and they eventually had six children together. Their home in the Oak Park suburb of Chicago, now known as the Frank Lloyd Wright home and studio, is considered his first architectural masterpiece. It was there that Wright established his own architectural practice upon leaving Adler and Sullivan in 1893. That same year, he designed the Winslow House in River Forest, which with its horizontal emphasis and expansive, open interior spaces is the first example of Wright&aposs revolutionary style, later dubbed "organic architecture."

Over the next several years, Wright designed a series of residences and public buildings that became known as the leading examples of the "Prairie School" of architecture. These were single-story homes with low, pitched roofs and long rows of casement windows, employing only locally available materials and wood that was always unstained and unpainted, emphasizing its natural beauty. Wright&aposs most celebrated "Prairie School" buildings include the Robie House in Chicago and the Unity Temple in Oak Park. While such works made Wright a celebrity and his work became the subject of much acclaim in Europe, he remained relatively unknown outside of architectural circles in the United States.


Frank Lloyd Wright - History

***COVID-19 UPDATE***DOCENT LED TOURS ONLY - LIMITED NUMBER OF TICKETS PER TOUR - RESERVATIONS REQUIRED

Commissioned in 1916 and completed in 1918, Frank Lloyd Wright's Allen House is named after its first owners, newspaper publisher Henry Allen and his wife, Elsie. It was the last of the architect's famous prairie houses, which emphasized horizontal lines, earth tones and a continuous blending of interiors with exteriors.

Architectural writers who have visited the house believe its living room is "one of the great rooms of the 20th century". The home features more than 30 pieces of Wright-designed furniture, all of its original art glass and several new-for-their-time innovations, such as wall-hung water closets and an attached garage. Restored back to 1918, the house exemplifies Frank Lloyd Wright's philosophy of living in harmony with nature. The house was pivotal in the movement to the Usonian designs of 1935. Interior furnishings manufactured by Niedecken Walbridge represent the last of twelve collaborations. The Allen House is considered by many visitors "the house of choice to live in!"

Visit the site that USA Today considers one of the "10 great Frank Lloyd Wright home tours" in the nation. The Allen House is located in the historic College Hill neighborhood, 255 N. Roosevelt, Wichita, KS.


Frank Lloyd Wright - History

التاريخ
Frank Lloyd Wright
Seth Peterson
The Seth Peterson Cottage
The Rehabilitation
Early Years and the Future
Frank Lloyd Wright

At the time Seth Peterson approached Wright to design the Cottage, the architect was nearing ninety years old, in the seventh decade of the most creative and innovative architectural practice in American history.

Frank Lloyd Wright is a native son of Wisconsin. Born in Richland Center on June 8, 1867, he always regarded Wisconsin as his home. After early years in Madison and Spring Green, he ventured to Chicago in 1887, where he developed his revolutionary ideas and created a thriving practice in the prosperous suburb of Oak Park. In 1911, he returned to Wisconsin, taking a farm near Spring Green and turning it into a laboratory where he developed and built his ideas for more than fifty years.

These ideas and ideals spread from the Midwest throughout the United States, then worldwide, and have entered the very fabric of our American culture.

In the late 1950’s, Wright was the center of an astonishingly successful architectural practice, and was involved in such major projects as the Guggenheim Museum in New York City, the Marin County Civic Center near San Francisco, and the Annunciation Greek Orthodox Church near Milwaukee. In addition, he was designing many private homes.

The 1958 Seth Peterson Cottage is Wright’s last Wisconsin building. Wright died in April, 1959, before Cottage construction was completed.

After a tour in the Army, Peterson returned to his hometown and took a job as one of state government’s first computer operators. He retained his dream of working with Wright, though, and on several occasions he asked the master to design a home for him. Wright refused because of the press of other work, but eventually Peterson sent Wright a retainer, which Wright promptly spent. So he was finally obligated to design Peterson’s dream house.

Peterson had purchased a piece of property on quiet Mirror Lake, near Wisconsin Dells, and it was for this dramatic wooded site that he asked Wright to design a small house just big enough for Peterson and his intended bride.

Inside the cottage, the soaring roof is offset by the lower stonewalled enclosure of the east side, a cozy retreat centered on the fireplace. In the bedroom a ribbon of narrow windows just beneath the roof provides a wash of light offering shelter and privacy.

Only one element of applied decoration marks this elegant and simple cottage: a frieze of stylized pine trees cut from plywood and set into a narrow row of windows above the main living room windows.

Rehabilitation of the Seth Peterson Cottage took more than three years. The Seth Peterson Cottage Conservancy hired architect John Eifler, who was experienced in restoring Wright buildings, to direct the project.

When rehabilitation work began in 1989, the boarded-up building was in total disrepair. Water damage had destroyed the flat roof over the bedroom as well as part of the sloped living room roof. The heating, electrical and plumbing systems were completely deteriorated. Kitchen, bedroom and bathroom cabinets and fixtures were either missing or too badly damaged to salvage and windows and door frames were in disrepair. Much of the glass was broken or missing. The sandstone walls and flagstone floor were the only portions of the building still in good condition. Volunteers removed and sanded salvageable woodwork. Wisconsin Conservation Corps crews removed and numbered each floor flagstone, following a detailed floor diagram. Crews also removed the old hot air heating ducts, the furnace and the concrete slab under the flagstone floor.

Rehabilitation continued with replacement of the roof, installation of new electrical and plumbing systems, and a new well and septic system. Woodwork was refinished or replaced, new custom-made windows were installed, and the flagstone floor was re-laid over the new concrete slab in which the pipes for the hot water radiant heating system are embedded. Wright’s original design called for this type of heating system, but was not installed for cost reasons as part of the original construction.

Kitchen, bedroom and bathroom cabinets and shelves were rebuilt using the ruined units as models, and the furniture Wright designed for the house was finally built. To fully furnish the cottage for rental purposes, John Eifler designed additional furniture pieces to complement Wright’s design.

The past twenty years have also seen significant improvements made to the Cottage and environs. Architect John Eifler designed a complementary storage shed, and board member Paul Wagner designed a shed to store all the firewood culled from Mirror Lake State Park. To enable guests to take full advantage of Mirror Lake, a dock was built and a canoe was donated.

Other improvements included the attractive red entrance gate designed by Bill Martinelli, new outdoor lighting, and extensive landscaping. In 2005 air conditioning was installed for the comfort of our rental guests. In 2006 a mini rehab was completed with the furniture being repaired and refinished, all upholstery replaced, interior and exterior woodwork refinished, and repairs to the radiant floor. In 2008 the cedar shingles and the fire brick in the fireplace were replaced. In 2009 a high efficiency, on demand boiler was installed and in 2011 the cedar shingles on the shed were replaced and a new cooktop installed in the Cottage.

In the past two decades, the Cottage has received more than 10,000 overnight guests from most states and many foreign countries. Our monthly tours now attract more than a thousand visitors a year. The Cottage is kept in the public eye through many feature articles, including those that have appeared in Architectural Digest, The New York Times, and the Chicago Tribune.


محتويات

Ancestry [ edit | تحرير المصدر]

Frank Lloyd Wright was born Frank Lincoln Wright in the farming town of Richland Center, Wisconsin, United States, in 1867. His father, William Cary Wright (1825–1904), ΐ] was an orator, music teacher, occasional lawyer, and itinerant minister. Wright's mother, Anna Lloyd Jones (1838/39 – 1923), met William Cary Wright while working as a county school teacher when William was the superintendent of schools for Richland County.

Originally from Massachusetts, William Wright had been a Baptist minister, but he later joined his wife's family in the Unitarian faith. Anna was a member of the well-known Lloyd Jones family who had emigrated from Wales to Spring Green, Wisconsin. One of Anna's brothers was Jenkin Lloyd Jones, an important figure in the spread of the Unitarian faith in the Midwest. Both of Wright's parents were strong-willed individuals with artistic interests that they passed on to him.

Childhood [ edit | تحرير المصدر]

According to Wright's autobiography, his mother declared when she was expecting that her first child would grow up to build beautiful buildings. She decorated his nursery with engravings of English cathedrals torn from a periodical to encourage the infant's ambition. In 1870, the family moved to Weymouth, Massachusetts, where William ministered to a small congregation.

In 1876, Anna visited the Centennial Exhibition in Philadelphia, where she saw an exhibit of educational blocks created by Friedrich Wilhelm August Fröbel. The blocks, known as Froebel Gifts, were the foundation of his innovative kindergarten curriculum. Anna, a trained teacher, was excited by the program and bought a set with which young Wright spent much time playing. The blocks in the set were geometrically shaped and could be assembled in various combinations to form three-dimensional compositions. In his autobiography, Wright described the influence of these exercises on his approach to design: "For several years, I sat at the little kindergarten table-top… and played… with the cube, the sphere and the triangle—these smooth wooden maple blocks… All are in my fingers to this day… " Α] Many of Wright's buildings are notable for their geometrical clarity.

The Wright family struggled financially in Weymouth and returned to Spring Green, where the supportive Lloyd Jones clan could help William find employment. They settled in Madison, where William taught music lessons and served as the secretary to the newly formed Unitarian society. Although William was a distant parent, he shared his love of music, especially the works of Johann Sebastian Bach, with his children.

Soon after Wright turned 14, his parents separated. Anna had been unhappy for some time with William's inability to provide for his family and asked him to leave. The divorce was finalized in 1885 after William sued Anna for lack of physical affection. William left Wisconsin after the divorce, and Wright claimed he never saw his father again. Β] At this time he changed his middle name from Lincoln to Lloyd in honor of his mother's family, the Lloyd Joneses.

Education (1885–1887) [ edit | تحرير المصدر]

Wright attended Madison High School, it is unknown if he graduated. Γ] In 1886 he was admitted to the University of Wisconsin–Madison as a special student. While there, Wright joined Phi Delta Theta fraternity, Δ] took classes part-time for two semesters, and worked with Allan D. Conover, a professor of civil engineering. Ε] Wright left the school without taking a degree, although he was granted an honorary doctorate of fine arts from the university in 1955. Ζ]


Frank Lloyd Wright’s 1930 Code L-29 Cabriolet was on display at the Hagen History Center until October.

Frank Lloyd Wright’s 1930 Code L-29 Cabriolet is now in Erie after traveling hundreds of miles from Auburn, Indiana.

The 17-foot-long car weighed 4,000 pounds, and orange was Wright’s favorite color.

This will be part of Wright’s exhibition at the Erie County Historical Society-Hagen Historical Center, called Frank Lloyd Wright’s San Francisco Office.

The secretary-general says he wants the car to be attractive to many.

“People who come here to see it probably haven’t seen such a car before,” said George Deutsch, secretary general of the Erie County Historical Society in Hagen. History Center.

The car will be in Erie until early October when it will be shipped to the Frank Lloyd Wright Conservation Conference in Buffalo.

Frank Lloyd Wright’s 1930 Code L-29 Cabriolet was on display at the Hagen History Center until October.

Source link Frank Lloyd Wright’s 1930 Code L-29 Cabriolet was on display at the Hagen History Center until October.


شاهد الفيديو: Дом над водопадом